Upon these I write the things of my soul...

Tuesday, October 19, 2010

"This is worse than waiting for Christmas!"

Elder Blackburn here.  My dad just had a fun experience yesterday, one of those once-in-a-lifetime opportunities.  He got to experience zero gravity by getting on a jet along with a other school teachers in Utah. I didn't get to hear much about it, simply from the fact that I live across the country, but I can just imagine how he felt.  I loved the story that the news reporter gave with it, because it quoted someone saying "This is worse than waiting for Christmas,"  which I can just imagine coming strait from my dad.   I love my dad, and one of the things that sets him apart from others is what happens when he gets excited.  You can just see it in his eyes, and it is just like a little kid during Christmas.   The enthusiasm of the anticipated, and the joy of the rewards of patience.  For my dad, his joy has always been a simple and pure excitement for things that he loves.

In this world of greed, I have found that those who are able to love and yet be selfless, are few and far between.  I have never in my life, seen my dad fall into the trap of letting his desires override his considerations for others.  He rarely does things for himself, but is always seeking for the happiness for his family.  The times I have seen him most excited have been when he was simply eager to bless us.  And so, when I think of my dad saying "This is worse than waiting for Christmas," I don't think of his anticipation to receive a gift, I think of his anticipation to give one to his children, because that is always what made him most excited.  I love my Dad
-Elder Blackburn

No comments: